Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Easy Come, Easy Go

I've got a few minutes of free Wi-Fi while waiting in my hotel lobby for a taxi to take me to the train station for overnight journey to Vienna.

I started today checking my email and learning via my mom that while I'm away someone had broken one of my glass patio doors. Seemingly it was just an accident not vandalism, unless I have some unknown enemies out there.

So I started today walking to Kazimierz, the former Jewish area of Kraków. It still has some old synagogues and cemeteries. At the oldest cemetery the manager(?) of the place took it upon himself to give me a more in-depth tour.

Then when I was at the Isaac synagogue, the only other tourist was wearing a Rolling Stones T-shirt from their current American tour. I asked him which show he had gone to and it turned out he went to the May 31 show in Chicago that I did.

Long story short he was an older guy whose name is David and he told me he  lived in Roscoe Village. Fortuitously he was willing to walk over to the Oskar Schindler factory which was my next stop. 

It was nice to have some company, but after the first gallery of what is now a museum about life in Krakow from 1939-45, I never saw him again. So if anyone knows someone named David who lives in Roscoe Village and has a daughter that lives in Honduras with a husband who works for the US government please let me know. Not that I really need to seehim  again but I was going to exchange email addresses. Oh well.

Vienna awaits but first does an overnight train ride, sharing a sleeping compartment with five random strangers.


No comments: